Is mastering mountain bike biking skill is your dream? We have prepared a series of best-selected mountain bike biking videos for your learning and practicing.
After you have learned the mountain biking skills from the series of videos that we have presented in this article, can help you possessing important mountain biking skills for starting practicing in the trailer park for jumping in the air like a pro rider or riding well with a good level of control skills in nature trail road.
A. Should you start mountain biking via learning from mountain bike riding videos?
You may have some doubt to start mountain biking or you have heard someone failed in learning the mountain bike skill. Our article is to lead you to get the necessary information from mountain bike biking videos to start practicing the mountain biking techniques.
If you are young (even you are at the age of 60), energic, and physically healthy, I can confirm to you that mountain biking is a challenging, fun, and attainable skill you can easily learn from viewing mountain bike riding videos and practice by yourself in any place.
The benefits of mountain biking as follow.
- It is a great workout to build muscle for your arms, legs, and back. Regular mountain biking skill practices make you physically strong in your body.
- The mountain biking workout is gentle for you to continue for long hours of practice, helping you burn out the belly fat to achieve your weight loss target.
- Mountain biking is a game of overcome obstacles using special jumping skills; you need to keep learning and practicing your skill to face the challenge.
- In the trailer park, you can practice the jumping skill, going high in the air and landing on the ground following the momentun.
- In nature trail road, you can utilize the jumping technique you have learned to enjoy the fun of the mountain riding.
Mountain biking gives you a fun learning journey and physical health to your body.
B. Is mountain biking techniques hard to learn from mountain bike riding videos?
B.1 The mountain bike biking videos give you two real examples to learn mountain biking techniques.
- The actual physical training journey of a learner. The learner starts practicing with the instruction from the coach until success in performing the overall technique.
- The demonstration of how to make a technique worked on the mountain bike by an experienced coach.
B.2 Mountain bike riding videos gives simple techniques to do
- The technique is simple – lean forward, shift body weight, extend legs, push handlebar, or push the pedal, etc.
- The steps of the technique are less than five – easy to remember.
B.3 Mountain bike riding videos gives excellent coach method
- The technique can breakdown for learning – Lift front wheel is one technique, or lift rear wheel is another technique that can breakdown for learning.
- Later can combine two technique to becomes one complex technique.
5 Things You Should Know Before You Start Mountain Biking – Read details here.
C. Mountain bike riding video #1 – Wheelie.
Wheelie is the first basic skill for mountain bike riding. Lifting the front wheel and continue riding with the rear wheel only. This is the first technique for the rider to practice balancing and control. You can expand to start learning the next skill like bunny hop or endo turn from the technique, which is a needed skill to use in some technical locations.
C.1 Wheelie technique #1 – Keeping your head looking forward.
You look forward to the direction you want to go to. Once you dropped your head, your body weight shifts in front, causing the front wheel to drop.
C.2 Wheelie technique #2 – Do not over-bending your arm.
If you over pulling the handlebars, your body weight shift backward, and you will fall off from your mountain bike. Dropped your two legs to stay on the ground firmly to avoid any injury.
C.3 Wheelie technique #3 – Arms start to lock same time as start power stroke to make the front wheel lighter.
You need to do many practices to get the right timing, once the wheel lift up successfully, you have to look forward to keep the front wheel lifting. At this stage balancing and control is the key for sweet wheelie.
C4. April gets the right posture.
Through determination, April do practicing again and again to get the right posture. She can manage to keep the front wheel for a short while due to balancing and control still need to practice.
C.4 Overall steps of WHEELIE from the training videos.
If you have any doubtful question about the overall steps for wheelie, please feel free to let us know by filling the comment form to us. We can reply you within 24 hours.
April has proven to you that she can make it in just a few hours of practice. You are much stronger than her; to master the wheelie skill is easy for you.
D. Mountain bike riding video #2 – Manual in 3 easy steps.
Wheelie and Manual’s difference is rider sits on the seat for Wheelie, and the rider stands on the pedals for Manual. Manual posture is the ready position to face obstacles. Wheelie’s posture is riding over the raised surface with the rear-wheel.
D.1 Manual technique #1 – Lift your front wheel
Keep your pedals at 3 and 9 position, extend your legs, shift your body weight to the back to lift up the front wheel, do not over bending your arms is the key success for lifting the front wheel.
D.2 Manual technique #2 – Incorporate your legs and body weight.
Slightly bending your legs to keep your bodyweight balancing and continue the manual riding.
D.3 Manual technique #3 – Find an obstacle to manual over.
In the beginning, use a small stick to start the manual over. Once the front wheel cross over the stick, you have to lean forward to drop the front wheel and your toes pointing downwards to lift the rear wheel to manual over the stick.
D.4 The successful posture of the manual skill.
The balance point of the mountain bike is the point touching the ground. The rider’s body weight must be aligned with the rear wheel’s balance point to continue manual riding. If the rider’s body weight shifts in front, the front wheel dropping. If the rider’s body weight shifts to the back, the rider will fall off the bike.
Manual skill is the basic mountain bike skill for the rider to lift the front wheel at any convenient time.
E. Mountain bike riding video #3 – BunnyHop
After you have learned how to lift the front wheel, you can now practice the bunny hop to smoothly cross over the obstacles. In this skill you have to lift the front wheel follow by lifting the rear wheel. The bunny hop technique gives you the greatest pleasure to ride on any trail road. No obstacles can stop you from going further after acquiring this necessary technique for mountain bike riding.
E.1 Bunnyhop technique #1 – Lift the rear wheel in two steps
- Step #1 – Shift your weight forward, extend your legs and point the toes downward.
- Step #2 – Push your back foot against the pedal and use your Hamstring to lift the rear wheel.
You can practice how to lift the rear wheel at any place following the 2 steps recommendation. Once you are able to lift the rear wheel with ease, you can combine the manual skill to start practicing the bunny hop.
E.2 Bunnyhop technique – Overall steps of performing the bunny hop skill.
Bunny Hop skill is the most useful skill to overcome obstacles like loose rock, wet root, deep sand, water, or mud stand in front of the trail road. The bunny Hop technique extends to use in the kicker jump and can put the rider higher in the air. This skill is a must to learn for all riders.
A bunny hop is an important mountain bike skill for the rider to cross over any obstacles that appeared in the trail roads.
F. Mountain bike riding video #4 – Jumping with Flat Takeoff, the Mild Kicker, and the Boosty Kicker.
After you have learned Manual, Bunny Hop, nothing can stop you from mastering the jumping skill. Every mountain bike rider enjoys jumping skill in the trailer park for hours to feel every popup and landing satisfaction. You must be excited to start to learn the jumping skill now. You can start viewing the mountain bike jumping videos here.
F.1 Jumping Technique #1 – Basic position step 1
First, you have to learn basic position step 1 before reaching the takeoff or kicker. Second, you have to learn basic position step 2 when you reach the end of the takeoff or kicker. You can practice these two steps at any place to feel your leg movement lifted the bike. Mastering the two-step technique before going for a trail ride.
F.2 Jumping Technique #2 – Basic position step 2
F.3 Jumping Technique #3 – the good posture and good timing jump
After mastering the basic position step 1 and step 2 can help you to perform good posture to lighten the jump and pop at the very end of the takeoff and kicker, you can feel a smooth and easy jump.
F.4 Jumping Technique #4 – Less speed and good technique is the key to a successful jump.
Poor technique can cause major nose dive and possible injury to the rider. High speed may cause a sketchy landing. Be relax, calm, and slower speed to enjoy the rise in the air, and a safe landing will bring you a lot of fun and happiness.
Once you have acquired the mountain bike jumping skill, you are among the mountain bike riders’ best.
G. Mountain Bike Riding Video #5 – How to cornering in the nature.
The cornering technique is an essential skill to ride smoothly on the nature trail road. Normally the trail road is not as straight and wide as a city road. The nature trail road is narrow and has to make sharp cornering to avoid big rocks or trees. But it is challenging and fun for mountain bike riders to take cornering at any sharp corner. There are many other mountain bike riding skill need to learn.
G.1 How to cornering for mountain biking?
G.2 How to perform a brake for mountain biking?
Every mountain rider must be familiar with how to use the brake in mountain biking. A light brake helps slow down the speed before reaching a dead-end or a sharp cornering. Apply only the front wheel brake or rear wheel brake may help to perform some riding technique. The most important is the braking technique during the descending. With the long years of practicing, you are going to master the mountain bike biking techniques.
Once you can master the cornering and braking technique, you can go to nature trail road to practice your mountain bike riding skill.
H. How dangerous is mountain biking?
Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport with the distinct possibility of severe injuries or even worse. The risk of an accident can be prevented. If you know your level of skill and always act in a controlled manner.
Mountain biking is a sport, and the trail roads for practicing are well designed to protect the rider from a major injury. There are no transpassing vehicles in the trailer park to cause an unexpected collision with other riders.
Cuts, bruises, or dislocations can happen when you are falling off from the mountain bike. Wearing a helmet, knee and ankle protection, or mountain clothing can reduce the injuries to the minimum.
I. Safety tips for mountain bike riding.
I.1 If you are practicing jumping skills in the trailer park.
- Always wear a helmet; it helps to reduce 70% of head injuries. Ensure the helmet is fit to your head and tighten properly with the chin strap.
- Knee and ankle support can reduce cuts and bruises when you fall off the bike.
- Adjust the seat post to the minimum so that both of your legs can touch the ground firmly.
- Confirm your tire pressure is normal. Add 20% extra pressure if you are practicing the jump and dropping.
- Check for any loose bolts and tighten them.
- Know your level of mountain biking skill; go slow in the beginning.
- Start by learning a tabletop jump rather than a double so you can have a flat and safe area to land on. Don’t go too big too soon.
- Ride with different timing to get your feelings, which is works well for you.
I.2 If you are practicing mountain bike riding skills on the nature trail road.
- Always wear a helmet. Ensure the helmet is tightened properly with the chin strap.
- Use Knee and ankle support to reduce cuts and bruises when you fall off the bike.
- Adjust the seat post to the minimum so that both of your legs can touch the ground firmly.
- Confirm your tire pressure is normal.
- Check for any loose bolts and tighten them.
- Prepare yourself in a ready position to take on any technical sections of the trail.
- Always look forward about 15 to 20 feet ahead. Look at where you want to go.
- Ride in a line as the trail road and do not avoid any obstacle. Face the obstacles and jump over the obstacles.
- Always look for loose rocks, deep sand, water, wet roots, logs, and other cyclists, hikers, and animals.
- When approaching a turn, brake before you hit a turn, and then let your momentum carry you through. Controlled momentum can help you get through any obstacle.
- Beginners should practice frequent gear shifting. This builds brain memory so you can intuitively shift up or down as needed without having to think about whether you are shifting to an easier or more difficult gear.
- Shift early before reaching a climb to prevent awkward shifting under a hard load on your gears and cause your chain to pop off.
With the help of mountain bike riding videos, it is possible you can start practicing the biking technique with your mountain bike at any safe location.
With determination, execute more practices by adjusting your posture and timing until you control your mountain bike. Follow the learning skill sequence here, start with Wheelie, then Manual, then bunny hop and jump technique.
If you are more likely to go riding in the nature trail road, you can start learning Manual, then bunny hop, the last is a cornering and braking technique on the nature trail road.
If you have any comments on the mountain bike riding video, you are welcome to ask us any questions.
Read related post – electric-bikes-for-beginners